The U.S. weight loss market reached a record $78 billion in 2019, but suffered a 21% decline in value during 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic and recession.
However, there were bright spots. Commercial chains held up well, as did the meal replacements market, frozen diet entrées and multi-level marketing channels.
- Revenues of the major commercial weight loss chains such as WW, NutriSystem, Jenny Craig, Medifast and others actually held up well last year, growing by an estimated 6.8% in 2020 to $4.07 billion.
- Multi-level marketing companies constitute a major force in the weight loss market, with the top 8 firms accounting for $3.4 billion in 2020 sales. Included in this group are Medifast, Herbalife, Shaklee, BeachBody, AMWAY, USANA, Isagenix and more.
- Meal replacements and retail appetite suppressants (diet pills) sales held up well in 2020. They have largely escaped the effects of the pandemic due to their easy availability and low price. MLM and internet/mail order channels remained open during the pandemic. Meal replacements (shakes, nutrition bars) accounted for $3.0 billion and retail diet pills accounted for $2.08 billion in sales.
- Hospitals and clinics, focused on treatingCovid-19 patients, cancelled elective surgeries such as weight loss procedures. Consequently, this segment of the market fell 20% from $8.8 billion to $7.1billion in 2020. Bariatric surgeries declined from 256,000 to an estimated 205,000.
- Revenues of health & fitness clubs took a major hit, declining by 37% from $35 billion to $22 billion, due to pandemic-related closures. This is one of the hardest hit segments of the weight loss market, as these facilities were among the first to close and among the last to reopen for business.
Technology became more important, as Zoom meetings, apps and streaming services soared in usage. Due to pend-up demand and consumer weight gain in 2020, most providers are looking for a strong rebound in 2021, as Americans are vaccinated and businesses reopen.
Do-it-yourself plans still abound as consumers use free diet & fitness apps. Many untapped niches still exist. This is a completely revised and updated analysis of Marketdata LLC’s best-selling biennial study about the U.S. weight loss market. This is the most comprehensive investigation of the U.S. weight loss market published by anyone worldwide.
Covered: dollar value & growth rates of all major weight loss market segments (early 1980s to 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2025 forecasts), latest market trends and developments, status reports for:
Diet soft drinks, artificial sweeteners, health clubs, commercial diet center chains, multi-level marketing diet plans, retail meal replacements & diet pills, medical programs (weight loss surgery, MDs, hospitals/clinic programs, Rx diet drugs, bariatricians, VLCD programs), low-cal frozen entrées, and the diet books & exercise DVDs market.
New for this edition:
- Effects of the Pandemic on operations/revenues for all market segments
- How dieter behavior changed with the pandemic
- 2021 & 2025 Forecasts
- The most popular diets like Keto, intermittent fasting
- Leading competitor top management interviews
- How the 2021 diet season is shaping up
- Why MLM has gained as a distribution model
- Why meal replacements are still strong, but not retail diet pills.
- Outlook for medical weight loss programs of all types, why they’ve lost momentum
32-year revenue analysis of the market through past recessions and fad diet cycles, comprehensive dieter demographics, weight loss center franchising, and extensive national/state commercial centers’ operating ratios. Rankings & revenues of top commercial chains, brand sales, and a Reference Directory.
Key Topics Covered:
- Introduction, Scope, Methodology
- Executive Overview
- Dieter Demographics
- American Exercise Trends & The Health Clubs Industry
- Commercial Weight Loss Chains
- Industry Structure & Key Ratios
- The Diet Soft Drinks & Artificial Sweeteners & Diet Food Markets
- The Artificial Sweeteners Market
- Retail Meal Replacements & Appetite Suppressants Market
- Medically-Supervised Weight Loss Programs
- Bariatrician (Obesity Medicine Specialists) Programs
- The Weight Loss (bariatric) Surgery Market
- VLCD/LCD Fasting Supplement Programs
- The Diet Drugs Market
- The Diet Books & Exercise DVDs Market
- Atkins Nutritionals
- Centers for Medical Weight Loss
- Dr. G’s
- Ideal Protein
- Jenny Craig
- JumptStart MD
- Lindora Clinics
- Metabolic Research
- Profile by Sanford
- Smart For Life
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/yglz2s
Source: Marketdata LLC
ResearchAndMarkets.com is the world’s leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, the top companies, new products and the latest trends.