The centuries-old “keto” diet, or short for ketogenic diet, is a low-carb diet that has been all the rage lately. Popular for its weight loss benefits, the new fad is back in action to kick off the new year on a healthy note.
The keto diet consists of foods which are high in fats and moderate in protein content. It’s similar to other grain-free & low-carb diets like paleo & Atkins and calls for nourishment via meats, dairy, eggs, fish, nuts, butters, oils, and non-starchy vegetables.
Followers of the keto diet are supposed to go through a metabolic process called ketosis where simple blood sugar from carbohydrates is replaced by complex fat molecules (from the high-fat keto diet) in our blood. This replacement causes our body to burn stored fat for energy instead of the blood sugar.
To make it easier to begin, we’ve compiled a few delicious dinner ideas to help with your keto diet:
Pesto grilled shrimp
Going on a keto diet hardly means you can’t eat yummy meals anymore, this summer-y seafood dinner idea is a testament to that. Loaded with herby flavors and refreshing citrus, pesto grilled shrimp is perfect for evening dinners on your lawn with the grill out!
1/2 cup basil, 1 small garlic clove, 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts, 2 tablespoons grated parmesan, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice (~1/4 lemon), salt & pepper to taste, 1 pound of peeled & deveined shrimp.
- Pulse the basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan, oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Marinate the shrimp in the pesto for at least twenty minutes up to overnight in the fridge.
- Skewer the shrimp and grill over medium-high heat until cooked, about two to three minutes on each side.
- Serve with a choice of favorite dip & enjoy!
Avocado frittatas make for a scrumptious meal while being low-carb & fully keto simultaneously. We recommend adding this dish to your list of healthy & keto dinner ideas for the upcoming Valentine’s Day!
2 ounces crumbled cotija Cheese, 1/2 cup grated mozzarella, 1/4 cup sliced green onion, 8 beaten eggs, 2 tablespoons milk, 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning, black pepper, 1 large avocado (sliced lengthwise).
- Prepare ingredients by crumbling the cotija cheese, grating mozzarella, and slicing the green onion.
- Beat eggs with the milk (for fluffiness) until well combined.
- Adjust the oven rack so it’s about four to five inches under the broiler and turn broiler on.
- Heat the oil in a heavy oven-proof frying pan over medium-low heat.
- When the pan feels hot, add the eggs, and season with all-purpose seasoning & black pepper. Let eggs cook for about two minutes, just until they’re starting to look cooked on the edges.
- Add the grated mozzarella, sliced green onion and cook for about five more minutes, or until the eggs look like they’re cooked about half-way through.
- Lay the avocado slices over the eggs and sprinkle with the cotija cheese.
- Cover the pan with the lid and cook for about three more minutes, or until the eggs look like they’re nearly cooked through and the cotija is starting to melt.
- Remove the lid, put the frittata under the broiler and cook for about two minutes more, or until the eggs are firm, cheese is melted, and the top of the frittata is nicely browned. (Watch it carefully; it’s easy to get it too brown under the broiler!)
Craving loaded potato skins for dinner but without all the carbs? Give this keto version a try! Topped with wholesome flavors, loaded cauliflower makes for the ultimate side, complementing various keto dinner ideas.
1 pound cauliflower, 4 ounces sour cream, 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, 2 slices bacon cooked & crumbled, 2 tablespoons snipped chives, 3 tablespoons butter, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and steam-cook them instead of boiling. Let it sit uncovered to release some moisture. Squeeze & drain the florets after cooking.
- Add the drained cauliflower to a food processor and blend until fluffy.
- Add the butter, garlic powder, and sour cream to the blended cauliflower and process again until it resembles the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Remove the mashed cauliflower to a bowl and add the chives and half of the cheddar cheese and mix by hand. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top the loaded cauliflower with the remaining cheese, chives, and bacon. Pop it into the microwave to melt the cheese or place the cauliflower under the broiler for a few minutes and serve hot!
Keto is known for its benefits for hunger control and treating type-2 diabetes and other health conditions. Why not start your 2021 off with these healthy & tasty keto dinner ideas?